2022 AISES Leadership Summit Call for Session Proposals
The AISES Leadership Summit provides personal and career development through leadership training specifically designed for Indigenous students and professionals. AISES is currently seeking engaging and innovative session proposals focused on leadership development designed to support Indigenous students and professionals on their educational and career journeys.
This year, we encourage and will give highest priority to sessions that are:
- Student developed and student led (both pre-college and college)
- Focused on professionals who are interested in transitioning from leadership positions to senior leadership positions
- Focused on executive leadership development (for professionals)
- Focused on student and/or professional advancement and leadership in academia / research
- 25-minute lightening sessions (only a limited number of workshop and forum sessions will be selected) – We highly encourage Indigenous students and professionals to present lightening sessions!
Possible topics include:
- Strengthening ethical and personal values, and convictions to lead with integrity.
- Fostering interpersonal relationships by respecting the dignity and contribution of all people.
- Understanding leadership styles by unpacking and discussing their components.
- Defining and developing personal and collective values and vision for the future.
- Understanding how relationships, trust, and problem solving contribute to team building.
- Creating communities which value respect, openness, and diversity.
- Empowering the Indigenization of policies, practices, principles, ideas and experiences in the workplace or academic setting.
- Expanding culturally relevant business practices.
- Sharing one’s own personal leadership journey that provide examples / models for others.
Sessions should provide attendees with a clear understanding of how the content will contribute to their leadership development.
For Forums and Workshops, we will prioritize those that are energetic and interactive (i.e. small group dialogue, world café method, live polls, tech-powered panel discussions, etc.) over panel or lecture structured sessions.
Session Logistics (Three options)
- Lightening Sessions
Session Length: 25 minutes
- Forum Sessions
Session Length: 50 minutes
Informational with participant interaction/discussion
- Workshop Sessions:
Session Length: 1 hour and 40 minutes
Interactive activity focused with minimal lecture/presentation time
Session Tracks (Three Options)
- Pre-College Student Track (high school students)
- College Student Track (undergraduate and graduate students)
- Professional Track (includes entry-level, mid-career, and mature professionals)
Additional Presentation Opportunity – STEM Activities Day
AISES is also soliciting proposals for activities presented during our STEM Activities Day on Wednesday, April 13 from 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. This is a post-Summit event targeting area precollege students (elementary, middle, and high school) with STEM-themed ideas and challenges, programming, and interactive sessions. The location of the STEM Activities Day will be at the Pechanga Recreational Center, 48460 Pechanga Road, Temecula, California, 92592.
Examples of activities for STEM Activities Day on Wednesday, April 13: Robotics demonstrations, Jeopardy Style Science Bowl, Simple Science Experiments, and Engineering and Design Projects
Logistics of STEM Activities Day:
- Activity should run approximately 1.5 hours for elementary students and 2.5 hours for middle and high school students.
- Activity room will be equipped with booths (tables & chairs), microphone, and electricity; however, AV and computers are not available for these activities.
Proposal Review Process
All proposals will be evaluated by AISES staff and a review committee comprised of student representatives, AISES board, council of elders, members of AISES advisory committees, and AISES professional members. Please be advised that the committee reserves the right to decline or accept your proposal in the interest of providing a balanced program. In some cases, AISES may request that sessions be combined and/or modified to meet the event’s objectives. Your flexibility and willingness to work with individuals with similar and/or related topics is appreciated.
Timeline and General Information
- April 10 -12 (Sun. - Tues.) at the Pechanga Casino Resort in Temecula, California.
- The deadline to submit proposals is February 23, 2022.
- We will begin notifying accepted speakers by March 4, 2022.
- Presenters are invited to submit proposals that cater to both tracks.
Presentations and A/V
- Session rooms will be equipped with a projector, screen, presentation clicker, and Windows computer with internet access and connected to in-room sound system. Each room will also have a podium with microphone and head table and chairs. ALL rooms will be set with theater style seating.
- All presenters are asked to bring any presentation materials on a flash drive or other USB storage device. Presentation laptops are not equipped with CD/DVD drives. You may use your own computer, but AISES will not be able to support computers that do not have an HDMI connection.
- For optimal display Power Point Presentations should be in the 16:9 format. Download the AISES Leadership Summit PowerPoint template.
- Presenters are responsible for providing all other materials necessary for their presentations besides A/V.
Logistics for Presenters
- AISES will offer a 50% discount to session presenters (limit 2 discount codes per session, non-transferable) to attend the Leadership Summit.
- AISES requests you do NOT register for the Summit until session notifications are sent; no refunds will be processed for those who register and then wish to apply the presenter discount code. Codes will be provided after sessions have been selected.
- Presenters are responsible for their own travel, lodging and other related expenses.
For questions please email us at email@example.com
Create an accountSetup your profile and then visit the submission tab.
Log into your accountAfter login visit the submission tab.